Most drain emergencies involve a main sewer line blockage, clogged kitchen drains or backed up toilets. These types of plumbing problems can cause significant property damage if not resolved quickly. Many times drains are clogged with roots, grease buildup and other debris but homeowners aren’t aware there is a problem until disaster strikes.
The truth is most sewer lines are clogged long before they actually back up inside a property. If your sewer line is clogged and heavy rain hits, there is no place for water to go except back into your home. Raw sewage is a health hazard and can quickly cause extensive property damage. The good news is that serious problems like this can usually be prevented.
Signs You May Have a Plumbing Blockage
Every plumbing system needs maintenance. Over time, pipes catch and trap some of the debris washed down drains each day. Cooking grease, hair products, soap, and food residue can cling to the inside of pipes. Eventually, this debris can develop into a large clog, which can become serious enough to cause a sewage backup inside your home. When it gets to that point, expensive repairs are needed.
Most homeowners give little thought to their sewers and drains until a problem develops. But there are several signs that your plumbing may be developing a serious blockage deep in the main drain.
If you are experiencing any of the following problems, you should have a professional plumbing inspection to locate the cause.
- Frequent clogs
- Slow moving drains
- Low water pressure
- Bad odors coming from drains
- Overflowing toilets
- Strange noises coming from plumbing
Safely and Effectively Remove Plumbing Clogs
The best way to clear a clog depends on the cause of the problem. For minor clogs, plunging or snaking might solve the problem. For larger obstructions, a more powerful solution is necessary.
Hydro jetting is often the best solution for a clogged sewer line or main drain that has a clog that can’t be removed by plunging, snaking or other techniques.
A hydro jetting system consists of a large water tank, high pressure hose, high strength nozzle and a pressurization unit. Once the hose is in place, highly pressurized water is sprayed into the pipes in all directions to thoroughly clear out all debris. After hydro jetting service, pipes are as clean as the day they were installed.
Hydro jetting can be used to remove almost any type of blockage including:
- Grease, Fat, and Oil Buildup - When cooking fats and oils harden, they cling to the inside of pipes and attract more debris as they move through drain lines. Over time, this greasy buildup can combine with hair, soap scum, food residue and other debris to create large blockages that block drain lines.
- Pipe Scale - The excess minerals in hard water can create scale deposits inside pipes. Water is considered “hard” if it has a high concentration of dissolved minerals like magnesium and calcium. While hard water doesn't usually pose a health risk, the buildup of mineral deposits it leaves behind can create a number of plumbing issues including clogged pipes.
- Tree Roots - Even small tree roots can slowly invade pipes and drains. Over time, roots can start to grow inside drains and create large, living blockages. Left untreated, tree roots can break drain pipes leading to raw sewage leaking underground or backing up inside a property.
- Non-Water Soluble Items - Paper towels, diapers, feminine hygiene products, baby wipes and other non-soluble items can collect inside drain and sewer lines. When they combine with grease and other debris, they can completely block drain lines causing sewage to backup inside a property. The blockages these items create cause problems for both homeowners and municipal water treatment facilities.
How the Hydro Jetting Process Works
Before proceeding with hydro jetting services, a professional plumber will first conduct a video inspection of the pipes and sewer line. This inspection helps determine the severity of the clog, pinpoint its location, and check for damaged pipes.
Once they determine that it’s safe to proceed, a trained technician will blast the pipes with the correct amount of water pressure to break up and clear obstructions without damaging the plumbing system. The technician will also use video inspection after cleaning out the drains to assess the effectiveness of the process and the overall condition of the pipes.
Hydro jetting allows for greater precision, allowing plumbers to clear blockages without digging up your yard or damaging your plumbing infrastructure. With the varying sizes and forces available an experienced plumber can handle a variety of clogs using hydro jetting.
Hydro Jetting Has Many Benefits:
- Safe for most pipes
- Completely clears blockages
- Fast and effective
- Environmentally friendly
- Long-lasting results
Using Hydro Jetting for Preventative Maintenance
Hydro jettings is used to clear tough clogs but it can also be used as a preventative measure. Restaurants, hotels and other commercial properties use hydro jetting services to keep grease and soap scum from forming clogs that lead to costly interruptions to normal business operations. Large commercial properties may require hydro jetting services once or twice a year.
Homeowners can also take advantage of preventative hydro jet services. Depending on the size and condition of your sewer or drain lines, a trained plumbing technician can recommend a maintenance plan to prevent future blockages from accumulating.
Luckily, most residential properties don’t need frequent hydro jetting services. However, with preventative maintenance, you can avoid sewer backups and flooding, keeping your home safe from costly damage and repairs.
Trust the Local Professionals for Hydro Jetting
Hydro jetting is not a DIY project. The water that comes out of the nozzle is highly pressurized which makes it particularly dangerous and can cause serious injury. Trying it on your own, aside from the physical risks, will not result in the quality cleaning you need.
Without the proper training and experience, hydro jetting can damage plumbing systems. It’s important to have hydro jetting services done by an experienced plumbing professional.
For drain and sewer services in Los Gatos, call Simply Green Plumbing, Sewer & Rooter at (408) 716-1686, or contact us online to schedule an appointment. Our trained technicians have the experience and proper equipment to quickly unclog any drain or sewer line inside or outside your home.
We understand that plumbing issues can happen at any time and can cause devastating effects if not addressed promptly. That’s why we offer emergency plumbing services at no extra cost.