Quality Installations & Repairs
Garbage disposals are meant to make our lives easier and more convenient—until they break down or stop working as well as they should. A broken garbage disposal--or a kitchen sink without one--can lead to repeated drain clogs—which may require emergency plumbing services.
Reasons Garbage Disposals Break
Garbage disposal issues are a frequent plumbing problem. Often, disposals break due to improper use. Contrary to popular belief, these machines are not meant to break down any item you please.
There are certain items you should never put down your garbage disposal, including:
- non-organic objects such as glass, paint, plastic, or metal
- cooking oils or excess grease
- hard items, like egg shells, nuts, and chicken bones
- coffee grounds or tea leaves
- fibrous materials, like pumpkin, celery, or onion skins
- starchy foods such as pasta or potato peels
- pits from stone fruits, like peaches or apricots
- cleaning chemicals, including drain cleaners.
By avoiding putting these and other items down your garbage disposal, you can help reduce the number of breakdowns you’ll have to deal with over time.
How to Avoid Garbage Disposal Problems
Garbage disposals don’t last forever, and you will eventually need to replace yours. However, there are steps you can take to extend its lifespan.
- Before turning the garbage disposal on, run cold water into the drain. Leave the water running for 15 seconds after everything is ground up.
- Occasionally place a few ice cubes into the drain and turn on the disposal. This helps clean out the grinding area.
- Occasionally use a cleaner specifically made for garbage disposals to remove any built-up grease and odors. You can also use baking soda and vinegar as natural cleaning agents.
- Occasionally grind citrus peels (orange, lemon, or lime) in the disposal. This keeps it smelling fresh and the acidity helps avoid bacterial growth.
- Have your plumber regular check your drains for any clogs or obstructions, and clean them, as needed.
When Your Garbage Disposal Stops Working, then What?
Even when you do your best to prevent problems, it’s impossible to avoid garbage disposal issues altogether, and a problem is likely to arise eventually. When this occurs, call Simply Green Plumbing, Sewer & Rooter for reliable garbage disposal repairs in Los Gatos and the surrounding areas.
As skilled, professional plumbers, we are capable of handling any plumbing need you may have. Our plumbers can install your new garbage disposal, replace an old disposal, or remove a broken disposal altogether. We have the tools and expertise to get the job done quickly.
We Can Handle All Your Garbage Disposal and Plumbing Needs
If you need garbage disposal services Simply Green Plumbing, Sewer & Rooter can help. We've been serving the Silicon Valley area area for more than 30 years, providing everything from garbage disposal installations and repairs to replacements, removals, and upgrades.
Simply Green provides the full scope of plumbing services for both residential and commercial clients. Whether it’s a faucet dripping, a clogged drain, or your sump pump has failed, we will be there when you need plumbing repairs. And because there are plumbing issues that are urgent, we never charge extra for emergency service.
Give us a call at (408) 716-1686 or reach out to us online via our contact form to request an appointment with our team today!
I called Simply Green Plumbing with both my bathrooms backing up in the shower. I spoke with Liz in the office who was very professional, polite , and informative giving me all the details necessary to...
Simply Green came out today to unclog my mainline!! Worst morning ever until I called them. The people on the phone are awesome,really helpful and consistent. The technician was SO professional and...
We had simply green came by to fix up our washer drainage clogged up problem. We are very pleased with Michael and Ross' service. They both are very courteous. They were on-time and patiently answered...
trusted & reliable professionals
You Deserve Only the Best
No extra charges for emergency services!
Our technicians are certified, clean and uniformed.
There for you when you need us most.
Commitment to Service
We have been providing quality services since 1988.
Involved in the Community
We care about our local community and serving you and your family.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
We are not satisfied until you are!
Coupons & Specials
Water Heater Installation
Valid from Mar 1, 2019 - Dec 31, 2030
Water Heater Repair
Cannot be combined with other specials.
Valid from Mar 1, 2019 - Dec 31, 2030
Cannot be combined with other coupons or specials.
Valid from Jan 1, 2019 - Dec 31, 2030